This photographic essay covers the railroad that linked the borough of West Chester, Pennsylvania, via Media to Philadelphia. West Chester (25 miles west of Philadelphia and 17 miles north of Wilmington, Delaware) was connected to Philadelphia by the West Chester & Philadelphia Railroad in 1858. It came under control of the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1881. The Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Central Railroad combined to form Penn Central Transportation Company in 1968, and following bankruptcy came under Consolidated Rail Corporation. In 1983, SEPTA began operating the Media-West Chester line until 1986 when service was cut back to Elwyn. During 1996, Four States Railway Service leased from SEPTA a 6.405-mile segment of the line between West Chester and Glen Mills in Pennsylvania. Volunteers spent a year to rebuild trackage and began West Chester Railroad passenger excursion service in 1997.
List Price: $28.95